Named for pioneer settler Samuel Horton, this village was founded as a lumbering community in 1876, complete with sawmill, shanty boys, boarding house, company store, blacksmith shop and draft horses. The store and many early buildings still stand. After the timber was gone, three fine restaurants opened: Dilworth's, The Waffle Shop and The Red Fox Inn. Young Ernest Hemingway frequently came here to fish and camp on "The Point." This area is the setting for several of his famous "Nick Adams" short stories. Hemingway was married here in 1921.