This impressive country residence, built about 1770 by Captain John Neville, a retired naval officer, is one of the few large Pre-Revolutionary houses still standing in New York City. The enframed doorway with its handsome moldings and the molded window frames are original. The two-story veranda may have been inspired by houses Captain Neville saw in the West Indies. In the 19th century, the house was used as a tavern. Called "The Old Stone Jug", it prospered, according to tradition, due to its proximity to that haven for seamen, Sailors Snug harbor.