In 1816 the Ottawa district was established and the Courts of Quarter Session, which at that time possessed local administrative as well as judicial authority, were held in the Township of Longueuil. In 1824 Jacob Marston donated a plot of land in this vicinity for the use of the court. By September, 1825, the central portion of the present building, constructed by Donald McDonald and Walter Beckworth, contractors, was completed. Designed in the Loyalist Neo-Classic style, this is the oldest remaining court-house in the province. Extensive additions were made in 1861-62.