During the 19th century, railroads had become primary arteries transporting the public over long distances. The honk of automobile horns, however, sounded the death knell for many passenger railroads. With advances in road building, technology and construction of additional highways, the public could drive almost anywhere at any time. The freedom of travel essentially renewed America's quest for a new frontier - the open road like the Lincoln Highway.
During 1854-1857, the Gettysburg Railroad was built linking Hanover to Gettysburg via New Oxford. President Abraham Lincoln used this line to travel to Gettysburg where he delivered his famous address on November 19, 1863. The Gettysburg line was eventually acquired by the Western Maryland Railroad, who built this station in 1892.
Passenger service was discontinued during World War II, and the train's last run was on September 24, 1965. The station was transferred to the Borough of New Oxford in 1966 and is currently leased by the Conewago Valley Model Railroad Club