Woodsmen and railroaders comprised the sparse population of the Embarrass area until the late 1800s, when a permanent community was established by Finnish immigrants. In 1905, Embarrass Township was incorporated, and the Finnish settlers began to construct homes, schools and churches.
The Apostolic Lutheran Church, built in 1906 on donated land, is the oldest existing church in Embarrass. Its simple and restrained Gothic design is characteristic of many Lutheran churches in rural Minnesota. For several years before the church was constructed, members held services in their homes. In the early years, local preachers such as John Pylkka and Isaac Lamppa, Sr., led the services. Because the church was not affiliated with an official American synod, sacraments were sanctioned in Finland. The first wedding, a double ceremony, was held in the church four years after it was built. On March 27, 1910, Matt and Eva Norha and Gregorius and Maria Hanka spoke their vows before the Reverend John Pollari.
Pictured with Isaac Lamppa, Sr., is the 1925-26 confirmation class. The confirmed are from Apostolic Lutheran congregations throughout northeastern Minnesota who boarded with Embarrass families while preparing for the sacrament.
Services are still held in this church on special occasions, and its board meets annually.