Wade Hampton Mattox came to this area from Florida prior to 1850. His grave, dating to the 1860s, is the first marked in the cemetery, established close to the house in keeping with Mattox tradition. The burial ground later served the Survey community, also known as Mayflower. In the 1930s, workers built a native sandstone fence as part of a Works Progress Administration project, which also included a teacherage. Today a cemetery association maintains the burial ground, owned by the local school district. The cemetery is the final resting place of many area residents, including several veterans.