In December 1894, nine women met to form the San Jose Woman's Club . Supporting temperance and suffrage, the members also promoted education, community improvements and the arts. The club was opened to women of all creeds, and nationalities. Today, the club welcomes both women and men. In 1929, the members opened this new home designed by the San Jose Architectural firm Wolfe & Higgins in the Spanish Revival Style. Their original garden was designed by landscape architect Wills Cloys Carmack, the first woman in California to graduate with a degree in the profession.
Dedicated on September 16, 2017/6022
By The San Jose Woman's Club
Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850 E Clampus Vitus
City of San Jose Historical Landmark 32