A Georgia Equalization SchoolE.D. Stroud School was established in 1956 as part of a statewide "equalization" effort for Georgia's African-American public schools. As part of Georgia's massive resistance to federally mandated school integration, politicians and school officials sought to address the blatant geographic and racial disparities in education by constructing hundreds of new (but still segregated) schools across the state during the 1950s-60s. This school was built to replace the Watkinsville Rosenwald School, located here until its demolition in 1956. Named for Rosenwald School Principal Edwin David Stroud, E.D. Stroud School included a home economics lab as well as a workshop and cannery in addition to traditional academic subjects. In 1969, as part of a countywide plan for desegregation, E.D. Stroud School became the integrated Oconee County Intermediate School. The school was renamed Colham Ferry Elementary School in 1996.
|Placed By||The Georgia Historical Society, the Watkinsville City Council, Bethel Baptist Church, the Oconee County Historical Society, the Oconee County Board of Education, and the Georgia Natural Resources Foundation|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 25th, 2017 at 1:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 277202 N 3747948|
|Decimal Degrees||33.84833333, -83.40805000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 50.9', W 83° 24.483'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 50' 54" N, 83° 24' 28.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||706, 678, 770|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 191 Colham Ferry Rd, Watkinsville GA 30677, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.