A well drilled on this site in 1892, in an effort to secure a public water supply, produced 48,000 gallons of hot mineral water daily from an artesian deposit underlying the area. At first believed unfit for human use, analysis proved the water possessed curative powers. On initiative of T.A. Cheeves, Drs. J.W. Cook, J.W. Torbett,and N.D. Buie, a health resort was developed, with a bath house built in 1895, and another well drilled in 1910.
Marlin became a Mecca for health-seekers from all parts of the country, providing basis for local prosperity.