Front(Continued on other side)
This historic building was erected in 1848 to serve as the
Tuckabatchee Masonic Lodge No. 96. At the time, this community
of Crawford, Alabama (formerly known as Crockettsville from 1832 -
1843, named after Davy Crockett) was the county seat of Russell
County, including part of present-day Lee County to the north.
The building served many purposes throughout the years including a
place to hold Masonic lodge meetings as well as school and church.
The first Masonic meeting in the building was in 1848 and the last
official meeting of the Masons in this building was held in 1995.
Members of the Crawford Masonic Lodge No. 863 decided to erect a
new more modern structure on the same property. The decision was
then made to allow a local landowner to purchase and move the old
lodge building about 100 feet to the east where it still sits today.
Covered in vines and showing signs of decay, the building remained
vacant for nearly 19 years until 2012 when a newly elected Russell
County Commissioner proposed creating a committee of the community
in an effort to lead a restoration effort.
(Continued from other side)
After being included in the Alabama Historic Commission's "Places
in Peril" publication
in 2012, the owner of the building agreed to
allow the building and property to serve as a county recreation
facility. The restoration project began in late 2013. Spearheaded
by the Russell County Commission, a committee of local citizens
and the members of the Crawford Masonic Lodge No. 863, many
volunteers and local contractors also helped in the restoration
project. Donations were made by the community to aid in the
restoration efforts and brick pavers were purchased and placed on
the front walkway to show the community's dedication and support
for the project. In 2015, prior to opening the doors to the public,
the downstairs was restored for use as a community center and
the upstairs was restored and designated as a museum to pay
tribute to the original intended use as a sacred Masonic Lodge.
This historic building was added to the Alabama Register of
Landmarks and Heritage on September 6, 1978.