Five miles NE is the Battleground of Echowanochaway Creek, site of the last engagement between Randolph County settlers and hostile Creek Indians on July 27, 1836. Captain Thomas Stapleton was killed in a preliminary fight the day before near Pataula Creek in Stewart County. Aroused by the approach of the Indians, Regular Georgia Militiamen under Col. George T. Wood, Major Joseph H. Wills, Capt. Nathan R. Smith and Capt. Joseph Guilford joined Cuthbert Volunteers under Capt. David Holleman and Capt. D. D. Snellgrove and marched to intercept the hostiles. These were augmented by a detachment of soldiers from Irwinton, (Eufaula) Alabama, a Stewart County company from Lannahassee under Capt. Galba Mathews and the Stewart County Rangers, whose Captain, Henry W. Jernigan, was placed in command of all the troops. Trailing the Indians across Turkey and Chenubbee Creeks, they charged in ambush where Turkey Creek empties into Echowanochaway. In the fierce fight lasting forty-five minutes, three white men were killed and thirteen wounded. Eighteen Indians lay dead in the swamp. The site of the battle, on lots 108 and 109 in the 11th District, now in Terrell County, is marked by a granite boulder.