Pier A, a designated New York City landmark, was constructed by the Department of Docks' third Engineer-in-Chief, George S. Greene Jr. between 1884 and 1886.
The pier's two-story building served as the headquarters of the Department of Docks and the Police Department's Harbor Patrol and was also home to a firehouse for the Fire Department's Marine Division.
This photograph depicts Pier A between 1902 and 1904 after the construction of an inshore extension but before the addition of the third story in 1904.
Pier A and the adjacent plaza were renovated between 2008 and 2013. The work included repairs to the substructure, replacement of the pier decking, and refurbishment of the building façade. The sculpted cast iron flagpole bases, which are visible in the photograph, were also refurbished and reinstalled in the plaza. Pier A opened to the general public for the first time in history in 2014 as a visitor center, restaurant, and event space.