In May 1918, the first U.S. Airmail was inaugurated using Army pilots and planes. Three months later, the Post Office Department took over the operations and started the first postal airmail service from College Park on August 12, 1918. Max Miller was hired to make the first flight along with Maurice Newton, Robert Shank and Edward Gardner. In 1919, the Post Office Department built a hangar, to store and service its planes and, in front of the hangar, a compass rose was constructed. The compass rose allowed pilots to adjust their compasses for any magnetic deviation. In 1921, the airmail service opened a transcontinental route, flying great distances. Service to the College Park Station was cancelled to supply planes and pilots to this new route. The hangar and compass rose still stand today.