Named for Charles SwanThese four dwellings were provided by the government for the keepers of the Cape Fear Lighthouse and their families. Captain Charles Swan, the first keeper of the light, lived with his family and staff in these homes from 1903 until 1933. The smallest building of the four was used for storing food and supplies. These structures were abandoned following deactivation of the light in 1958, and were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
|Placed By||Village of Bald Head Island|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, April 1st, 2018 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 225544 N 3749102|
|Decimal Degrees||33.84656667, -77.96615000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 50.794', W 77° 57.969'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 50' 47.64" N, 77° 57' 58.14" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Capt Charlies Point Rd, Bald Head Island NC 28461, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.