Historic Black Rocks Village
Settled in the 1720's this section of Poplin, (now Fremont) between Scribner Road & Rowe's Gas Station at 225 Main Street, gradually grew into a thriving settlement called "Black Rocks Village." Through the years sawmills, gristmills, a woolen mill, 1800 Meetinghouse, parsonage, stores, taverns, inns, True's Hotel (1872-1906), boarding houses, blacksmith shops, gun-shops, shoe factory, schoolhouses, 1900 bandstand, 1908 band-house, barrel cooperage (1874-1999), 1894 town library, post offices, gas stations, restaurants, barber shops, doctor's office, 1936 fire station, milk dairy, tannery, baseball field, 1911 Town Hall, Robinson's Grove, 1856 Democratic Hall, 1857 Free-Will Baptist Church, 1925 Methodist Church, & Union Church (1865-1921) - all made up this quaint, prosperous village.
The first Civil War Riot in New England & the fourth within the United States took place here on duly 4, 1861 during the raising of a 150 foot-high liberty pole at Liberty Square.
The first Poplin town meeting took place at John Prescott Lovering's Inn on August 27, 1764 at 272 Main Street.
Historic Fremont, N.H.-Olde Poplin
A Pre-Revolutionary War Town
Fremont is a proud old town steeped in early
American history. Originally part of Exeter & Brentwood, it was incorporated as POPLIN on June 22, 1764. It was renamed FREMONT on July 8, 1854 after the famous American West Explorer & first Republican Presidential Candidate in 1856 - John C. Fremont.
112 soldiers out of 552 Poplin residents & 2 slaves in 1775 fought in the Revolutionary War (1775-1783). Two died fighting for American Independence. Former residents Curtis Bean (1731-1833) & David Kenniston (1736-1852) were members of the 1773 Boston Tea Party. Kenniston was the last surviving member of the Tea Party dying at age 115 in 1852.
22 Fremont soldiers out of 99 died during the Civil War (1861-1865). Not one native Fremont Civil War soldier ever deserted!
The first Mast Tree Riot in America took place on the Fremont/Brentwood line in 1734.
The unique 1800 Fremont Twin-Porch Meetinghouse is one of only two existing in the United States. Spaulding & Frost Cooperage - the oldest white pine barrel factory in the world operated here between 1874 & 1999.