On this site in 1893, Oswego's first public school was built and served the hildren of the town until it was outgrown, and replaced in 1928 by this handsome Colonial Revival style structure. Originally called Oswego Grammar School, it was renamed Lakewood Grammar School a few years later.
Oswego's population was barely 1,200 when Lakewood School was built....by 1878 it had passed the 20,000 mark and the school was no longer capable of supporting the population. In 1979, the Lakewood Community Theatre, now dba Lakewood Center for the Arts raised $600,000 of private funding to purchase the building from the school district.
The main facade of this building has been carefully preserved by the Lakewood Center, while converting the interior to contemporary use for the performing and visual arts. This is the oldest public building in continuous use in Lake Oswego.