Welcome to Owls Head Light Station
"Owl's Head ushers at once upon a scene almost too beautiful to profane with speech when we are looking at it; impossible to find language to do it justice when memory would summon it before us again."
- Samuel Adams Drake,
The Pine Tree Coast, 1891
A Majestic Beacon
A lighthouse was first established at Owls Head by the US Lighthouse Board in 1825. The present tower was built in 1852 and stands 30 feet tall. Its light shines 100 feet above sea level. A pyramidal fog bell tower once stood on the point as seen in the image to the right, warning passing vessels when the light was not visible during foggy or stormy weather. Today, a modern electronic fog horn has taken the place of the bell.
Still guiding ships today is a 4th Order Fresnel Lens. Manufactured in France, this lens was first installed in the lighthouse in 1856. The historic glass prism lens continues to show a fixed or steady white light, which can be seen for 16 nautical miles.
Keepers like George Woodward (left) kept the light shining bright for over a century and a half. Keeper Woodward served at Owls Head from 1945 to 1947.
Over its history, the light station was home to many lighthouse
keepers and their families, like the Haskins family above. Keeper Archford Haskins served at Owls Head from 1947 to 1953. The lighthouse was automated in 1989 and the last keeper was removed.
The present keeper's house was built in 1854. After automation, the dwelling served as housing for US Coast Guard personnel stationed in Rockland. In late 2012, the keeper's house became the headquarters for the nonprofit American Lighthouse Foundation and is now open to the public.
Continuing the Legacy
The first level of the historic keeper's house is now home to the American Lighthouse Foundation's Lighthouse Interpretive Center.
Enjoy exhibits about historic lighthouses, Fresnel lens, Coast Guard lightkeeping today, foghorns and family life at Owls Head Light Station.
Don't miss the gift shop for your Owls Head Light mementoes and more... All proceeds benefit our lighthouse preservation mission!
From Memorial Day through Columbus Day, volunteers from the American Lighthouse Foundation's local chapter, Friends of Rockland Harbor Lights, staff the tower for visitors.
The climb up to the base of the lighthouse is 53 steps, once in the tower it is a short 10 steps and a 7-rung ladder up into the lantern room.
Please note that our younger visitors must be 42" tall to climb
There is a suggested donation to climb the tower.
Lighthouses illuminate our hearts and imaginations by creating a sense of place and inspiring dreams of tomorrow.