Native Americans inhabited this site at the confluence of the Kennebec and Sebasticook Rivers from at least 5000 years ago, until 1692.
A pilgrim trading post was also located on this site in the 1650s.
Located within Fort Halifax Park is the oldest blockhouse in the United States, the last remnant of historic Fort Halifax.
Built in 1754, the fort was garrisoned by Colonial Troops and their families for over a decade.
During the Revolutionary War, the fort served as a stop on Benedict Arnold's expedition to Quebec.
It also hosted famous visitors including Aaron Burr, Chief Joseph Orono, and Paul Revere.
By 1798 all that remained of Fort Halifax was the lone blockhouse which had fallen into disrepair.
Through grants and generous donations, the Fort Halifax Blockhouse was restored and Fort Halifax Park was created and improved.
Engraved in this granite monument and the ground markers located within the park are the names of those whose financial contributions have helped implement the Fort Halifax Park Concept Master Plan adopted by the Winslow Town Council on July 11, 2011.
Thank you to our generous doners.
Land & Water Conservation Fund, Bangor Savings Bank, Somerset Stone and Stove
in memory of Arthur G. Bolduc, Ken and Deb Lavoie, Sappi North America
in Memory of Cornish Family. Provost Monuments.