The earliest known Black congregation in Orange, Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church was started in 1871 as a result of the organizatonal efforts begun by Simon Jones, Peter Minor and William Ruben Minor. Joined later by William Edwards, Boyd Scott, Arthur Robinson, and John Williams, they raised funds for the construction of a church building, completed in 1872. The first sanctuary was a small frame structure on the corner of Third and Cherry streets. It was later moved to John Street and enlarged.The congregation was officially organized at a meeting in October 1873. The dedication ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Archie Vinerable and the Rev. A.J. Shotwell of Beaumont. Several other sanctuaries served the members before the present church was constructed in 1926. Designed by Dr. C.E. Jeter, it was completed during the pastorate of the Rev. W.J. Clark.The Mount Zion congregation has been instrumental in the development of the community, sponsoring missionary programs and serving as a nucleus for the formation of several churches. Many prominent area leaders have been members here.