On Top Again
Rescued and Rebuilt
Time had taken its toll on the Land Lighthouse since the federal government decommissioned the beacon and ordered the lantern room removed and sent to a lighthouse in Ohio in 1899.
In 2003, the Erie-Western Pennsylvania Port Authority cleaned and re-pointed the tower and rebuilt the missing lantern room and watch deck. Now the tower is crowned by a new top that matches the original and a light once again glows from its top.
A sculptural assemblage of brass and glass, designed and built in France, that projected the flame of an oil lamp 17 nautical miles out into the lake.
Third Order Fixed Fresnel Lens.
Weight 1,985 pounds.
Oil consumption per hour: 7 ounces.
The Mystery of the Missing Lens
Though there are rumors concerning its whereabouts, no one knows for sure what happened to the original Fresnel lens.
Lighthouse Time Line
Erie-Western Pennsylvania Port Authority completed major restoration of lighthouse.
Archaeological excavation done in 1818 lighthouse location.
Relighting ceremony commemorated 100 years anniversary of beacon removal.
replica of lantern room created on top of tower.
Land Lighthouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Lighthouse tower cleaned and mortar joints re-pointed.
City of Erie acquired Land Lighthouse and adjacent property.
Lighthouse decommissioned a final time.
Congress repurchased lighthouse and land.
Beacon discontinued, lighthouse and land sold.
Presque Isle Lighthouse constructed on Erie's peninsula.
Current lighthouse and keeper's cottage built for $33,000.
Second lighthouse on site built of Milwaukee Brick. Its foundation failed after only eight years.
Lighthouse completed. First U.S. lighthouse to shine on Great Lakes.
Congress authorized construction of the first lighthouse, a 20-foot wooden tower, built on this site.
Battle of Lake Erie fought.
Seaway Trail Lighthouses