In 1858 Henry Miller, known as the Cattle King of California, and Charles Lux, a fellow German with a keen business sense, formed one of the most successful partnerships in American history. The Miller & Lux Firm began buying up land and cattle throughout the west.
By the 1870's, the partners owned more than 300,000 acres of land in California. In the next two decades, they further expanded their holdings, eventually crossing into Oregon and Nevada, where Miller began to buy ranches and brands. In the 1880's they established the Pacific Livestock Company.
The beautiful open lands around Pizen Switch, later to be named Yerington, were no exception. The valley was perfect for ranching and Miller & Lux established the ranch headquarters one and a half miles west of Lux Lane on the south side of Miller Lane. Even though a fire in 1969 destroyed many of the buildings, some of the original buildings still remain today.
By the end of the 19th century the Miller and Lux Firm had become America's largest integrated cattle and meatpacking enterprise, owning close to 1.3 million acres of land in California, Nevada, and Oregon.