207 Courthouse SquareMrs. Pearl G. Maddox built the theatre in 1926-27 during the silent movie era, naming it the Valerie after her daughter. The first movie shown was "The Only Woman" in 1927; the last was "The Untouchables" in 1987. Herbert Pittman of Clearwater leased the theatre when "talking equipment" was installed. Prices were 10 cents for children and 25 cents for adults. At a time when other towns prohibited Sunday shows, City Council boldly adopted a resolution to permit Sunday movies, boosting trade in the City and making the Theatre a social focal point for many years. The theatre was gutted by fire in 1939 and rebuilt. In 1962, daily clips from the movie "Follow That Dream" were viewed with Elvis in attendance. The building remained vacant from 1987 until the City purchased it in 2009. With community involvement and detailed planning a grand reopening was held for the Valerie Theatre Cultural Center in June 2015.
|Placed By||City of Inverness, Florida|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, May 7th, 2018 at 10:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 370258 N 3190582|
|Decimal Degrees||28.83636667, -82.32990000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 28° 50.182', W 82° 19.794'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||28° 50' 10.92" N, 82° 19' 47.64" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||813, 352|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 205 Courthouse Square, Inverness FL 34450, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.