On 15 June 1845, the Duke of Wellington, hero of the Battle of Waterloo and Constable of the Tower, laid the foundation stone of these barracks, named after his greatest victory. Built to house up to 1,000 soldiers, the barracks were designed by the Royal Engineers. The soldier outside is part of the garrison tradition, still active and guarding the Tower today.
Today, the Waterloo Barracks contain a smaller barracks, offices and the Jewel House. The building also overlooks the military Parade Ground. The ceremonial public duty of the soldiers stationed here is to guard the Crown jewels and the Queen's House on behalf of the monarch. They can come from any branch of the armed forces of Britain and the Commonwealth.
( the text is also presented in ten additional languages)