In the 19th century two organizations, the Bellville Social Club and the Bellville Turnverein Gut Heil, sponsored community-wide social activities. The Social Club purchased this property from Herman Miller in 1883 and planned construction of a pavilion. The Bellville Turnverein, founded in 1885, built an opera house in 1889 which became the center of the town's social activity.
In 1895, the Turnverein purchased the Social Club's property and hired local contractor Joachim Hintz to build this pavilion. It was completed in 1897. One of several polygonal social halls built in Austin County, this 12-sided structure required extra long lumber which was shipped directly from the mills. It became the primary site for community celebrations and activities.
The city of Bellville purchased the property and pavilion in 1937 and sponsored a competition among Texas A&M University students to redesign the park. The winning design, along with a grant from the Federal Works Progress Administration, enabled the city to build new facilities and update the pavilion with modern amenities. It continues to serve as a focal point for many community gatherings.