Juan H. Fernandez came to America at the age of 14 in 1875 as a ward of his uncle, Jose Fernandez-Toral, a mercantile owner originally from Pendueles, Asturias, Spain.Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2017
Following in his family's footsteps, Juan Fernandez opened a store in 1883, constructing a similar structure to his uncle's store. Juan's business succeeded, catering to the ranch and farm sector. The complex bears significant features of the classic border brick styling of architecture that was prevalent throughout Mexico in the 19th century. The brick was sourced from a local ranch-fired production, yielded from river clay and baked in kilns called hornillas. In 1921, Fernandez purchased the 6,000-acre Noriega Plantation (Rancho Viejo).
Marker is property of the State of Texas