Victualling Inshore Craft (VIC) 56
Small wartime naval stores and munitions steamship
Supplying the Royal Navy, which had over nine thousand ships during the Second World War, was a huge challenge. By 1945, most were at anchor or moored to buoys. To supplement the requisitioned barges that served this role, ninety-eight VIC vessels were built using small shipyards. They had steam engines because of wartime shortages. They served in the UK and overseas — Malta, Hong Kong, Gibraltar, Chatham, Sheerness, Rosyth, Plymouth and Portsmouth.
VIC 56 was built in 1945 by James Pollock and Sons, Faversham. It worked mainly at Rosyth and is the last steamship built in Kent that is still in operation. Today it is operated by volunteers.
For more information see www.vic56.co.uk