This plaque commemorates the establishment of
the City of Montrose. First called Pomona, the
original 320 acre townsite was laid out in January
1882 by O.D. Loutsenhizer and Joseph Selig. They
were assisted by A. Pumphrey, John Baird, S. A.
Culbertson, Ben Nichols and Major Adams.
Other early settlers were J.C. Frees, A. E.
Buddecke, Charles Diehl, Evans Willerup, Dr. W.
Cummings, Dave Wood.
The first settlement, "Old Town", was around
the present So. 7th. and Cascade Ave. When the
D.&R.G. RR. located the depot near Main St. in June
1882, choice lots were offered to old town
residents to move to new locations along Main St.