This site - Lot 9 Block 45 - housed what in later years would be known as the Rex Hotel. Glenwood Springs founder Isaac Cooper first owned the property, but between 1887 to 1892, ownership changed hands several times. During this time, several small wood-framed buildings were constructed on the back of the lot. On the front, a one-and-one-half story saloon and lodging house was built.
Jacob Strassheim purchased the property in 1893. He constructed a two-and-one-half-story brick veneered building on this site. Strassheim offered rooms for rent on the second floor and operated a saloon on the street level. However, Strassheim's financial problems forced the property into foreclosure. In 1900, the building and property were sold to wholesale liquor dealer James Sheridan.
Sheridan leased the building to Bart Petrini who operated the Roma Saloon here. When Colorado enacted statewide prohibition in 1916, Petrini's saloon closed. Sheridan then leased the building to T.J. Silvy who then opened the Arcade Hotel.
Battista and Julia Anselmi purchased the property from James Sheridan in 1920 and established the Rex Hotel. He and his wife managed the hotel until his death in 1943. Once again, the hotel was sold, this time to Julius and Amelia Zanella. Their clientele during World War II included wives visiting their
husbands who were stationed as the U.S. Naval Convalescent Hospital located in the Hotel Colorado.
Toni Peabody purchased the Rex Hotel in 1979. Her 20 rooms filled the community's need for low-income housing.
In 1991, the Rex Hotel was sold to Hotel Denver owners Steve and April Carver. The Rex Hotel was demolished in 2000. The current structure was constructed to mirror the architectural style of the Hotel Denver's facade.