The original building at this site was built in 1883 and was called the Hotel Colorado. It was quickly found too small for its needs and plans were made to replace it.
In 1884, Isaac Cooper, William Gelder, and Joseph Enzensperger made plans to erect a building in keeping with the elegance of the times. A brick, 3 story, 75 room hotel was built in sections over several years and completed in 1887 at a final cost of $150,000. It had elevators to whisk guests between floors, a restaurant and retail spaces. It boasted a fire alarm system, securing safety for its patrons.
The hotel was now named the Hotel Glenwood.
The most famous of those patrons were: H.A.W. Tabor and his young wife Baby Doe, and 'Doc' Holliday, one of the West's most infamous gunfighters, who came to Glenwood to spend his last days - he died here, in bed, on November 8, 1887.
On December 14, 1945 after 50 years of serving its guests the Hotel Glenwood succumbed to a fire that was unmatched in Glenwood Springs' history, and claimed the lives of at least 4 people.
Grant E. Bullock rebuilt this corner on December 29, 1949. His family operated their family department store on this site until the middle 1990's. Mr. Bullock sold the building to Cameron Calder, who remodeled the building to the current structure with the clock tower.