Texas A&M University - Commerce
—Historic Walking Tour —Originally located in Cooper, East Texas Normal College moved to Commerce in 1894 following a devastating fire that destroyed the first and only campus building. The fire was one of many occurrences that prompted President Mayo to relocate the college to Commerce. Commerce was desirable partly due to the city's rail connections and also because of a generous donation of land and money from the city to support the relocation. From September 3 to December 31, 1894, ETNC occupied space in a rented room on Main Street. The location was adjacent to the two-story Odd Fellows Building. The college had only 35 students. In 1895, the college's first building in Commerce, College Hall, was completed, and the college moved to its present location.
|Placed By||Texas A&M University|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, July 15th, 2018 at 7:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15S E 229820 N 3682816|
|Decimal Degrees||33.25056667, -95.89995000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 15.034', W 95° 53.997'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 15' 2.04" N, 95° 53' 59.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1208 Main St, Commerce TX 75428, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.