This painting is based on the little-known 1801 watercolor "President House" by J. Benford, part of The White House art collection.Artist: Anne Martinez
Some art historians claim the large building on the right is not the White House, but Blodgett's Hotel, which was built in 1793 at Eighth and E Sts,, NW. Interestingly, Blodgett's Hotel and the White House were both designed in the Anglo-Palladian style by Irish-born architect James Hoban, and would have looked alike.
The building on the left is thought to be the first Treasury building on 15th St., built in 1799. The building in the middle was the Rhodes Tavern, located at 15th and F Sts., NW, also built in 1799. Together these buildings were three of the earliest found in the original capital city.
The repairs and restoration of this call box and three others were made possible in 2009 by the Rhodes Tavern-DC Heritage Society, Joseph N. Grano, project manager, with generous contributions from local organizations and businesses, as well as individuals from around the region. Art consultant: Anne Martinez, fabrication and installation: Gelberg Signs, painting and gold leaf design: Frank Arkwright.
The 22-carat gilding of this box was made possible by a special contribution from PNC Bank.
Art on Call is sponsored
by Cultural Tourism DC, the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, the District Department of Transportation, and the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development. Funding was provided by the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, DC Creates Public Art Program.