Hljómskálagarðurinn / Pavilion Park

Hljómskálagarðurinn / Pavilion Park (HM2A92)

Location: Reykjavík 101
Country: Iceland
Buy Iceland flags at Flagstore.com!

N 64° 8.549', W 21° 56.442'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 152 views
Inscription
(English text:)

The Hljómskálagarður Park was Reykjavík's first formally-planned park.

The idea of making a park at the southern end of the Tjörnin Lake was first suggested in the early 19th century, but it was not until 1901 that the town council set land aside for that purpose. In 1908 Knud Ziemsen (later mayor) and the Danish architect Frederik Kiørboe submitted a design proposal for the park to the town council.

On the initiative of Knud Ziemsen, refuse and ash was used as landfill for the construction of Skothúsvegur, a road and bridge crossing the Tjörnin Lake. This was not entirely popular, due to the stench of the refuse. Skothúsvegur was completed in 1920, and a new dumpsite was opened at the end of the Lake. This was to be the foundation of the Hljómskálagarður Park.

In 1914 the first trees were planted to the west and south of the Lake: 400 birch saplings, which initially grew slowly. Hljómskállinn, the pavilion from which the park derives its name (Pavilion Park) was built in 1923. It was the first building in Iceland constructed specifically as a venue for music. The Reykjavík Brass Band has been based there since it was built.

The intention was that the band would play on the roof on fine days. Iceland's first music school for instrumentalists operated in the pavilion 1922-4, and



the Reykjavík Music College was founded there in 1930.

In 1931 Icelandic-Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen's self-portrait (the first public sculpture in Iceland) was transferred to the park, and in 1947 Einar Jónsson's sculpture of romantic poet Jonas Hallgrimsson. In 2014, a sculpture garden honouring female pioneers of Icelandic sculpture was opened at the southwest corner of the park. The sculpture garden was named The Pearl Necklace, reffering to each sculpture being individual and unique, like a pearl, but connected, like a neclace.

-

(Icelandic side:)

Hijómskálagarðurinn má teljast fyrsti skipulagði almenningsgarðurinn í Reykjavík.

Fjölnismaðurinn Tómas Sæmundsson mun fyrstur hafa komið með þá hugmynd að gera lystigarð við suðurenda Tjarnarinnar. Ýmsir fleiri vöktu máls á þessu en ekki komst hreyfing á málið fyrr en Einar Helgason garðyrkjufræðingur fékk því til leiðar komið að bæjarstjórnin tók frá land til þessara nota árið 1901. Árið 1908 sendu Knud Ziemsen, síðar bæjarstjóri, og danski arkitektinn Frederik Kiørboe tillögu til bæjarstjárnar um skipulag garðsins.


Knud Ziemsen átti einnig frumkvæði að því að sorpi og ösku var ekið í Tjörnina til uppfyllingar og undirstöðu undir Skothúsveginn. Mæltist sú ráðtöfun misjafnlega fyrir því daun lagði af sorpinu. Gerð Skothúsvegar var lokið árið 1920. Öskuhaugarnir



voru þá færðir suður í Tjarnarenda og eru að talsverðu leyti undirstaða Hljómskálagarðsins.

Fyrstu trén voru gróðursett vestan og sunnan Tjarnarinnar 1914, 400 birkihríslur úr Vatnaskógi, sem uxu hægt framan af. Hljómskálinn var reistur árið 1923. Uppúr því festist nafnið Hljómskálagarður í sessi en áður var garðurinn nefndur Lystigarðurinn. Hið formlega nafn hans er Tjarnargarður.

Hljómskálinn var fyrsta hús á landinu sem byggt var sérstaklega fyrir tónlistarstarfsemi. Hann er teiknaður af Guðmundi H. Þorlákssyni byggingarmeistara. Lúðrasveit Reykjavíkur hefur haft þar aðsetur síðan húsið var byggt. Hugmyndin var að sveitin gæti spilað á þaki hússins á góðviðrisdögum. Fyrsti hijóðfæraskóli landsins var starfræktur þar 1922-1924 og Tónlistarskóli Reykjavíkur hóf starfsemi þar 1930.

Sjálfsmynd Bertels Thorvaldsen var flutt af Austurvelli í garðinn árið 1931 og stytta Einars Jónssonar af Jónasi Hallgrímssyni var flutt þangað frá Bernhöftstorfunni 1947.

Perlufestin, höggmyndagarður kvenna, var opnaður í suðvesturhluta garðsins sumarið 2014. Í gaðinum eru höggmyndir eftir sex konur sem voru frumkvöðlar í höggmyndalist hér á landi, þær Gunnfríði Jónsdóttur (1889-1968), Nínu Sæmundson (1892 - 1962), Tove Ólafsson (1909 - 1992), Porbjörgu Pálsdóttur (1919-2009), Ölöfu Pálsdóttur (1920) og Gerði Helgadóttur (1928 - 1975). Verkin sem um ræðir eru: Landnámskonan eftir



Gunnfriði, Hafmeyjan eftir Nínu, Maður og kona eftir Tove, Piltur og stúlka eftir Þorbjörgu, Sonur eftir Ólöfu og Nafarinn eftir Gerði.
Details
HM NumberHM2A92
Tags
Placed ByReykjavik City Museum
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, August 11th, 2018 at 4:02pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)27W E 454224 N 7113229
Decimal Degrees64.14248333, -21.94070000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 64° 8.549', W 21° 56.442'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds64° 8' 32.94" N, 21° 56' 26.52" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 3 Sóleyjargata, Reykjavík 101, IS
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. This marker needs at least one picture.
  10. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  11. Is the marker in the median?