Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 2
—1914 · Centennial · 2014 —
Constructed in 2003
Designed for the convenience of students and the public, the Student & Administrative Services Center provides easy access to important campus services. First-time visitors typically begin their tours of campus at this location.
The design of the three-story, cast-stone structure with a high-tech appeal is a departure from a more traditional yellow-brick exterior that is featured in most of the 20th century architecture on campus.
A large-scale art piece - created by students, faculty, staff, and visiting artist Antonio Puri - was installed in the center in 2010. The piece, which combines 100 canvases and 39 recycled wooden cigar boxes, signifies how art and technology come together.
Puri, a Philadelphia-based artist born in India, worked with students and other volunteers over four days to complete the work.
Student & Administrative Services Center (SASC)
· Admissions Office
· The "core" meeting space
· Donor wall
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
· Before the College Store moved to this location, it was located in the former Cromar factory building west of campus and later near the former library in what is now the Lifelong Education Center.
· Prior to the construction of the SASC, services were scattered
around the campus. Admissions and most services directly impacting new students were headquartered in the Klump Academic Center, the most historic building on campus, and the location where classes were first offered in 1914.
· Murray Associates Architects, P.C., Harrisburg, designed this building and the adjacent Madigan Library to create an impressive visual introduction to the campus.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology