Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 3
—1914 · Centennial · 2014 —
Constructed in 2006
The Madigan Library offers a large collection of resources and relaxing spaces to serve students and community needs.
The 1,000-seat facility provides excellent facilities for reading, studying, and conducting research. In addition to a vast collection of books and media resources, the library provides computer laboratories, group study rooms, and an outdoor reading area.
Outside the library's main entrance, a galvanized-steel icon housing a large clock highlights the distinctive nature of the facility. The icon, which is repeated in interior details, was designed by the building's primary architect and interior designer, Benedict H. Dubbs, Jr., of Murray Associates, P.C.
College President Davie Jane Gilmour said the icon speaks to the College's applied technology mission. "We're an institution that is based in technology ... It would be inappropriate for us to build a sort of ivy-covered-wall building ... That's not what we are about."
Inside the Library (LIB)
· The Gallery at Penn College
· James Everett Logue popular reading atrium
· Bookmarks Cafe
Roger and Peggy Madigan
Roger A. Madigan, a former member of the College Board of Directors, served in the Pennsylvania Senate from 1985 until his retirement in 2009. The Commonwealth
contributed $7 million toward the cost of the library's construction in honor of the Madigans' public service.
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
· Until this permanent home was established, the library moved frequently. From 1966 through 1968, it was housed in an off-campus building at 1223 West Fourth Street, several blocks west of campus. From 1968 through 1981, the library was located inside the Rishel Building at 1201 West Third Street.
· In 1981, the College opened a Learning Resource Center (LRC) inside space that is now part of the Hager Lifelong Education Center. In 1984, the library within the LRC was dedicated in honor of Dr. John T. Shuman, a Williamsport Technical Institute teacher and administrator, who also was a noted author of textbooks for vocational students.
· In 2005, ground was broken for the construction of the new library building, which was dedicated to Roger and Peggy Madigan on September 12, 2006.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology