Bernhöftstorfan / Bernhöft's Sward

Bernhöftstorfan / Bernhöft's Sward (HM2AX5)

Location: Reykjavík 101
Country: Iceland
Buy Iceland flags at Flagstore.com!

N 64° 8.818', W 21° 56.178'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 243 views
Inscription
(English side:)

The name Bernhöftstorfa (Bernhöft's Sward) is derived from the T.D. Bernhöft bakery, which stood in Bankastræti 2. Bernhöft's house was built at the north end of the lot in 1938, along with the bakery, peat store, grain store and other storage buildings. Bernhöft's bakery, the first in Iceland, remained in business until 1931. Below the house, Bernhöft cultivated a garden and installed a water-pump, which was much used. The house survives almost unchanged. Neighbouring buildings, damaged by fire in 1977, have been restored in their original form.


The sculpture The Water Carrier from 1937 by Ásmundur Sveinsson (1893-1982) is dedicated to the women that carried water from the pump to the houses in town. The statue was meant to be placed here in 1949 but it was considered too unconventional. In 1967 it was cast in bronze and erected in Öskjuhlíð hill, but finally moved to this place in 2011. More sculptures by Sveinsson are on view at Ásmundarsafn museum.

"The mechanization of households is, when all comes to all, probably the progress that has benefitted women more than any legislation."
Bríet Bjarnhéðinsdóttir (1856-1940), a pioneer in the Icelandic women's movement


To the south of the bakery buildings is Gimli, built in 1905. The house was built almost as



an advertisment, using precast concrete units from the Mjölnir factory, of which one of the owners was the mayor. The southernmost of the buildings, Amtmannsstígur 1, was built in 1838. The row of buildings that make up Bernhöftstorfa comprise an important aspect of the architectural history of Reykjavík.

In 1967 a development plan proposed constructing a city hall on the site, and moving the existing buildings to the Árbær open-air museum. At about that time a new building conservation movement came into being. The Torfa Movement was launched to campaign for the conservation of the buildings. After extended disputes, in 1979 the government agreed to conserve all the Bernhöftstorfa buildings.

The open-air chessboard was installed in 1981 with a chess set by sculptor Jón Gunnar Árnason.

(Icelandic side:)
Bernhöftstorfan dregur nafn sitt af T.D. Bernhöft bakara í Bankastræti 2. Íbúðarhúsið var reist nyrst á lóðinni árið 1834 ásamt brauðgerðarhúsi, móhúsi, kornhlöðu og öðrum geymsluhúsum. Þetta var fyrsta bakarí á landinu og starfaði hér til 1931.

Bernhöft ræktaði skrautgarð og lét setja upp vatnspóst sem var mikið notaður og nefndur Bakarapóstur eða Bernhöftspóstur. Íbúðarhúsið stendur enn lítt haggað en hin húsin skemmdust í eldi árið 1977. Þau hafa verið endurgerð og útlit þeirra fært til fyrra horfs.

Styttan Vatnsberinn



frá 1937 eftir Ásmund Sveinsson (1893-1982) er minnisvarði um verkakonur sem báru vatn úr brunninum í hús bæjarins. Þegar setja átti styttuna upp árið 1949 þótti hún of óhefðbundin og hlutust af miklar deilur. Árið 1967 var styttan steypt brons og komið fyrir í Öskjuhlíð. Það var ekki fyrr en 2011 að Vatnsberinn var Ioks settur þar sem honum var ætlaður staður. Fleiri verk Ásmundar má sjá í Ásmundarsafni.

Vélvæðing heimilanna er, þegar öllu er ó botninn hvolft, líklega það framfaraspor sem reynst hefur konum notadrýgra en nokkur lagasetning."
Bríet Bjarnhéðinsdóttir


Næst fyrir sunnan bakarahúsin er Gimli, sem reist var 1905 sem íbúðarhús Knuds Zimsen borgarstjóra. Það var nánast reist í auglýsingaskyni því að í bygginguna voru notaðir steyptir steinar frá verksmiðjunni Mjölni en Knud Zimsen var einn af eigendum hennar. Syðsta húsið, Amtmannsstígur 1, var reist 1838 sem íbúðarhús Stefáns Gunnlaugssonar bæjar- og landfógeta og var kallað Gunnlaugsenshús. Síðar bjó þar lengi Guðmundur Björnsson landlæknir og var húsið þá nefnt Landlæknishús.

Húsaröðin er merkur hluti af byggingarsögu borgarinnar. Í skipulagstillögum frá 1967 var gert ráð fyrir að reisa stjórnarráðsbyggingu á torfunni og flytja húsin sem þar stóðu í Arbæjarsafn. Um svipað leyti reis upp hreyfing húsfriðunarfólks sem stofnaði Torfusamtökin til að berjast fyrir varðveislu húsanna.



Eftir langvinnar deilur um framtíð Bernhöftstorfunnar samþykkti ríkisstjórnin 1979 að friðlýsa húsin.

Útitaflið var sett upp árið 1981 og myndhöggvarinn Jón Gunnar Árnason fenginn til að hanna tafimenn við það.
Details
HM NumberHM2AX5
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Wednesday, August 29th, 2018 at 2:01pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)27W E 454445 N 7113726
Decimal Degrees64.14696667, -21.93630000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 64° 8.818', W 21° 56.178'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds64° 8' 49.08" N, 21° 56' 10.68" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 2 Bankastræti, Reykjavík 101, IS
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Nearby Markersshow on map
Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?