"Capt. Pratt and his two clerks [and others] ... have moved their office quarters to the new and handsome building situated where the old chapel stood," read the 20 November 1891 issue of the Indian Helper, a Carlisle Indian Industrial School newsletter. Boys from the school helped build that facility, the present Quarters 3. Superintendent Richard Henry Pratt and his successors used it as an administration building until the school closed in 1918 to make way for General Hospital No. 31. The hospital used the structure as post headquarters
From 1920 to 1951, the building served as headquarters for the various military schools that came and left Carlisle Barracks - the Medical Field Service School, the Armed Forces Informational School, the School for Government of Occupied Areas, the Adjutant General's School, the Chaplain School, the Military Police School, and the Army Security Agency School.
When the Army War College moved to Carlisle Barracks in 1951, headquarters relocated. Shortly after, the building was renovated and became Quarters 2, residence of the Deputy Commander. In the early 1990's, it became Quarters 3, home of the Deputy Commandant for International Affairs.
Donated by LTC Pam McGaha, PAARNG, AWC Class of 2011
In Honor of PFC Doyle L. McGaha Sr., WWII Veteran, 81st
Infantry Division, 1941-1945
Eagle Scout Project by Timothy Loney, Troop 173
Research assistance from Jessica Sheets and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
Images from USAMHI, Personality Collection and Carlisle Barracks Collection