Spanish Mission and First Oﬃcial County Seat of Madison CountyIn the mid 1600's San Pedro de Potohiriba, a Spanish mission, was established in this area on the Old Spanish Trail. The first courthouse of Madison County was erected at San Pedro, the county seat from 1828 to 1838. San Pedro, located about ten miles south of the present town of Madison, was on a post road from Tallahassee to Jacksonville. In 1833 the first post office was established with Archibald McNeil serving as postmaster.
|Placed By||The San Pedro Bay Sportsman Club in Cooperation with Department of State, Bureau of Historic Sites and Properties|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, February 2nd, 2019 at 4:01am PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 261210 N 3361890|
|Decimal Degrees||30.36536667, -83.48461667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 30° 21.922', W 83° 29.077'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||30° 21' 55.32" N, 83° 29' 4.6200000000001" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling South|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9229 Co Rd 14, Madison FL 32340, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.