L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church

L'eglise presbyterienne - Knox Presbyterian Church (HM2EI0)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 48° 0.576', W 65° 19.711'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 55 views
Inscription
 
En 1798, le synode de l'Église presbytérienne, d'Écosse délègue deux évangélistes au Canada; l'un d'eux se rend dans la Baie-des-Chaleurs. Deux ans plus tard, la Société des Missionnaires de Londres envoie le révérend John Mitchell et, en novembre 1800, il est venu à New Carlisle. Il prononce son premier sermon dans la maison d'un des pionniers, Robert Caldwell.
En 1820, la première église presbytérienne est construite. En 1925, à la suite d'une entente entre les églises presbytérienne, méthodiste et congrégationnelle, elle s'intègre à l'Église Unie du Canada.
À New Carlisle, après cette fusion, 51 adultes et 32 enfants restent fidèles à l'Église presbytérienne. Les offices sont tenus à l'Hôtel de Ville et, exceptionnellement, au cours de l'hiver, au «School Home».
En 1929, grâce aux dons reçus et au zèle de la congrégation, l'église Knox est construite. Son nom est choisi en souvenir de John Knox qui participa à l'établissement de la Réforme en Angleterre et fut l'un des fondateurs de l'Église presbytérienn en Écosse. Le 18 juin 1930, l'église est consacrée.
Depuis quelques années, il n'y a plus de ministre à



l'église Knox. Ses membres dépendent de la visite de pasteurs du diocèse pour la célébration des offices religieux.
[Légendes photo, de gauche à droite, lisez]
· Église Presbytérienne-Knox 1930.
· Le symbole de la religion presbyterienne est le « buisson ardent » qui brûle sans se consumer. Ce buisson apparut à Moïse en Égypte et lui servit de signe pour délivrer ses compatriotes (Exode III, 3-13).
· Église Presbytérienne-Knox 1925.
[Arrière du marqueur]
V
ers 1820, dix-sept chefs de famille presbytériens s'entendent afin de faire construire à New Carlisle une église pour l'adoration publique affiliée à l'Église d'Écosse.
On procède à l'évaluation du coût de la construction de ce bâtiment de dix-huit bancs. Chaque signataire de l'entente voit sa participation évaluée à un banc. La part de chacun peut être fournie sous forme d'argent, de matériaux ou de temps et ce, avant le 1er décembre 1822. Le document ci-joint est la reproduction de celui qui avait été signé à New Carlisle le 17 février 1820. L'original est conservé aux archives de l'Église presbytérienne à Toronto.
———————————————————————————


On the Gaspé, the Presbyterian faith



goes back to 1798, when the reverend[s] Waddell and Dripps were sent to Canada by the Associate Synod of Scotland: Their mission brought them to the Bay of Chaleurs.
The Reverend John Mitchell was sent out in 1800 by the London Missionary Society and, in November, 1800, he came to New Carlisle.
The first sermon was preached to the new colonists in the parlour of Robert Caldwell's house.
In 1820, the first Presbyterian church was built and, in 1925, following the union between the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational churches, the building became the property of the United Church of Christ.
In New Carlisle, following the union of 1925, the membership of the Presbyterian Church consisting of 51 adults and 32 children decided to keep their Presbyterian faith and built this second church.
Until this church was completed, the services were held at the Town Hall and, one winter in the school residence. In 1929, due to the strenuous efforts of the congregation and some outside donations, Knox Church was finally built[, w]ith the dedication taking place on June 18, 1930.
For several years, Knox Presbyterian Church has not had a resident minister and its congregation depends on the visits of ministers from the presbytery of Miramichi.
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
· Knox [Presbyterian] Church 1930
· The Burning Bush symbol



of the Presbyterian Church means "burning but not consumed".
· Knox Presbyterian Church 1930
[Rear of marker]
T
he following is a reproduction of the original document signed at New Carlisle on February 17, 1820 pledging the construction of the first Presbyterian Church. The original document is preserved in the archives of the Church in Toronto.
Details
HM NumberHM2EI0
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Friday, February 22nd, 2019 at 7:01pm PST -08:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)20U E 326340 N 5319990
Decimal Degrees48.00960000, -65.32851667
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 48° 0.576', W 65° 19.711'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds48° 0' 34.56" N, 65° 19' 42.66" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling West
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?