Federal Building and United States Courthouse
—Dedicated June 29, 1998 —By an Act of Congress (P.L. 105-163) this historic building is named for United States District Judge "Gus" Bootle. Judge Bootle was born in Walterboro, S.C. on August 19, 1902, and attended Mercer University where he was awarded a law degree in 1925. Before becoming a judge, he served as United States Attorney during the administration of President Herbert Hoover, adjunct professor and acting Dean of the Walter F. George School of Law at Mercer, and while in private practice he was a leading trial lawyer. On May 20, 1954, he was appointed United States District Judge for the Middle District of Georgia by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, and he held that office with great distinction until his retirement in 1981. Of the 27 years Judge Bootle served this district, many were marked with great turmoil in this state and region. His wisdom, innate sense of fairness, and unfailing good humor earned him many friends and admirers among the members of the bar. Judge Bootle, through his courage and dedication to the law, is an example for the judges who follow him and a beacon to all who seek the protection of the Constitution of this great nation.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, March 10th, 2019 at 8:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 254240 N 3636275|
|Decimal Degrees||32.83703333, -83.62561667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 50.222', W 83° 37.537'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 50' 13.32" N, 83° 37' 32.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.