Freedman's Village, established by the federal government in 1863, was intended to provide temporary accommodation for newly freed slaves, but it survived as a community for over thirty years. When the government closed it, many residents relocated to Nauck as well as to other small communities in Arlington.
Free blacks Levi and Sarah Ann Jones were among the first African Americans to own land in what is now Nauck. Landowners prior to the Civil War, they built their home in 1844. The local community grew as the Jones family sold property to other black families.
In 1874, John D. Nauck, Jr., of Washington, DC, bought 46 acres of land in south of Arlington and began subdividing it. The community was originally known as Green Valley, named for the Green Valley Mansion which overlooked the current site of the Army Navy Country Club.