H. Rodney Sharp was only 16 when he entered Delaware College in 1896, and he graduated four years later in what was termed the "Class of aughty-aught." In 1915, he was appointed a Trustee.
Mr. Sharp was deeply loyal to his alma mater. He secured the firm of Day & Klauder to develop a campus master plan and engaged internationally renowned landscape architect Marian Cruger Coffin. Their resulting plans are both still followed.
From 1915-68, Mr. Sharp supported many project, including construction of Mitchell Hall. His remarkable gifts constitute a major portion of the University's endowment, and, importantly, he enlisted the support of his brother-in-law, P.S. du Pont, who also became a significant benefactor.
This laboratory and a residence hall are named for Mr. Sharp. The beauty of the campus and the quality of academic programs are also his legacies.