This building is named in honor of E. Arthur Trabant, who served two terms as President of the University of Delaware: 1968-87 and 1988-90. During his presidency, enrollment at the University doubled, the Laird Campus was developed, the University was established as a Sea Grant Institution and the University Honors Program and Winter Session were instituted and several major buildings were added across the campus.
Opened in April 1996 as the second student center on campus, this structure houses a lively concourse that features school colors, a food court, bookstore annex and large multipurpose rooms. There are also meeting rooms, a movie theatre, offices and the award-winning Vita Nova restaurant staffed by students in UD's Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Management. The center also features Daugherty Hall, an Historic stone church dating from 1868 that has been restored as a study area.