1942This crane was a fixture on Pier 3 of Bethlehem Steel's Key Highway Shipyard facility. It was one of three identical cranes used to repair war-damaged ships during World War II. The Bethlehem Steel Corporation acquired the Baltimore Dry Dock Company on Key Highway in 1921 and set it up as a repair facility to complement their ship building facility at Sparrows Point. During World War II the Key Highway yard repaired over 2,500 ships and employed 11,000 workers. The shipyard was also the first one in the country to "jumboize" an oil tanker by cutting the vessel in half and then adding a section in between, thereby increasing its capacity. The "Yards" served as the largest ship repair facility in the United States until their closing in 1982.
|Placed By||The Baltimore Museum of Industry|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, March 16th, 2019 at 2:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 361911 N 4348419|
|Decimal Degrees||39.27413333, -76.60086667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 16.448', W 76° 36.052'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 16' 26.88" N, 76° 36' 3.12" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.