1869This elegantly designed cupola sat atop the William Knabe and Company piano factory in 1869 off South Eutaw Street, near present day Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The original building and cupola is an example of 19th century decorative industrial building architecture. The Knabe factory was a state of the art building covering three acres and equipped with full manufacturing capabilities. By 1890, Knabe was producing 70 pianos a week. Baltimore-built Knabe pianos were used by esteemed musicians around the world, including Tchaikovsky, Rubinstein, and Puccini. In the 1930's, the Knabe factory was converted into a paper cup making plant, last run by the Maryland Cup Corporation. The building was demolished in 1990 to make way for the new stadium. The cupola was airlifted by a Maryland National Guard helicopter to its present location. It is all that remains of Baltimore's grand piano factory of the 1800's.
|Placed By||The Baltimore Museum of Industry|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, March 16th, 2019 at 5:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 361913 N 4348412|
|Decimal Degrees||39.27406667, -76.60083333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 16.444', W 76° 36.05'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 16' 26.64" N, 76° 36' 2.9999999999998" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling West|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near , ,|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.