Johann Mischler (changed to John Mishler), 1852-1930, and
his wife Rosina Beyeler Mischler, 1852-1927, were born in
Switzerland and came to the United States in 1882. They
moved to Smithville in 1887 where John, a weaver by trade,
built a mill to produce rugs and carpets on a hand operated
timber framed barn bean loom. Three belt-driven looms were
added in the early 1900s powered by steam and later diesel.
the weaving mill became the first business in
Smithville to be operated by electricity. The mill wove cloth
for fruit Presses and dishcloths and towels and was the only
producer of cheesecloth in the United States for the Swiss
cheese industry. It produced 40,000 pounds of cloth per
year. John's son Daniel took over the mill in 1930 and
moved it a block away to its present location. Charles Norris
purchased the mill in 1983. Ten years later, it was purchased
and restored by the Smithville Community Historical Society.