Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption

Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption (HM2FKO)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 21° 48.028', W 100° 44.166'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 25 views
Inscription
 Parroquia de Nuestra Señora de la AsunciónEste templo es el mejor ejemplo de la arquitectura colonial religiosa en la cabecera municipal. De fecha muy remota, existe una referencia de que el 15 de agosto de 1542 fueron bautizados indios guachichiles, y que bajo esa advocación se concedió fundar el pueblo de Santa María del Río, al que el Virrey Don Luis de Velasco dio el nombre.Hay datos que señalan que en 1592 se fundó el pueblo por Alonso de Santa María del Río, hijo de Juan de Santa María. A pesar de ello, se ha establecido que el asentamiento definitivo de otomíes y chichimecas en el poblado de Santa María, no se hizo sino hasta 1610. Originalmente la Parroquia formó parte del convento Franciscano construido en el siglo XVII, cuando se estableció el Pueblo Nuevo de Santa María del Río. En la primera década del siglo XVIII continuó su construcción, concluyéndose y siendo consagrada el 15 de agosto de 1845. Es por ello que entre los festejos más tradicionales de Santa María se encuentran los celebrados en la primera quincena de agosto, en honor a la patrona de la ciudad. El templo



es de de cruz latina y cuenta con una cúpula elevada sobre el crucero. Su fachada es sencilla, y su arquitectura bien podría describirse como sobria. A la izquierda se ubica una torre de dos cuerpos, el primero de forma cuadrangular y el segundo octagonal. En el lado opuesto se levanta una sencilla espadaña con campanas y un reloj debajo. El altar mayor está formado por un templete cuadrangular, sobre el que descansa el segundo cuerpo que completa el ciprés de artística composición, y dentro, protegido por vidrieras, se halla la escultura de la Virgen de la Asunción. Aquí se encuentra también un Cristo de caña sobre una cruz de madera taraceada. El piso de mosaico fue colocado con motivo de las fiestas del IV centenario de la fundación de la ciudad.
English:Parish of Our Lady of the AssumptionThis church is the best example of colonial religious architecture in the county seat. Constructed on a remote unknown date, there is a reference to August 15, 1542 when Guachichil Indians were baptized here, and under the patronage of Our Lady of the Assumption the settlement of Santa María del Río was established and officially named by Viceroy Luis de Velasco. There is data to indicate that 1592 was the year of the official foundation of the town by Alonso de Santa María del Río, son of Juan de Santa Maria. However, it has



been established that the final settlement of Otomi and Chichimeca indian groups in the town of Santa María, did not take place until 1610. Originally the parish church was part of a Franciscan convent built in the seventeenth century, when the Pueblo Nuevo de Santa María del Río (New Village of Santa María del Río) was established. Its construction continued in the first decade of the eighteenth century, and it was concluded and finally consecrated on August 15, 1845. It is for this reason that most of the traditional celebrations of Santa María are held in the first half of August, in honor of the patron saint of the city. The temple has a latin cross and a high dome over the transept. The facade of the temple is simple, and architecture may well be described as sober. On the left there is a two-bodied tower, the first body is quadrilateral and the second is octagonal, on the opposite side stands a simple belfry with bells and a clock below. The altar consists of a square template on which rests the second body exhibiting an artistic cypress composition, and inside, protected by glass, is the sculpture of the Virgin of the Assumption in addition to a figure of Christ made of corn paste on a cross of inlaid wood. The mosaic floor was installed to commemorate the celebrations of the four-hundredth anniversary of the founding of the



city.
Details
HM NumberHM2FKO
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Saturday, April 13th, 2019 at 11:03pm PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 320528 N 2411751
Decimal Degrees21.80046667, -100.73610000
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 21° 48.028', W 100° 44.166'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds21° 48' 1.6799999999999" N, 100° 44' 9.9599999999998" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling North
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  11. This marker needs at least one picture.
  12. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  13. Is the marker in the median?