Sioux Falls, South Dakota
—Centennial 1910-2010 —
E.A. Sherman Devoted his life to creating and promoting a park system in Sioux Falls. After unsuccessfully lobbing for the creation of a park commission, Sherman began his legacy with a 1907 election to the city council. In 1907 he ran a "City Beautiful" campaign and was named chairman of the new council park committee.
In 1910, he and his wife Katherine, donated 52 acres to the city to create Sherman Park. With bluffs and river access the land was the perfect site for the expanding city to develop a park.
Sherman's legacy did not end with that donation. In developing a plan for his park, Sherman recognized the need for governance over park lands. In 1911, with his election to the State Legislature, Sherman lobbied for a plan for management of public land. In 1915, Sherman succeeded and the creation of both park boards and operating systems became law. Sherman's law also made it mandatory to have a public vote before selling park lands. All of Sherman's labor paid off as these laws are still in place today.
Sherman Park continues to meet the needs of changing times. The USS South Dakota Battleship Memorial was completed in 1969. A fifth Native American burial mound was constructed in 2001 to replace
one that had ben excavated and the softball fields underwent a phased renovation from 2006-2001.
Centennial Garden improvements including a new pergola structure were commissioned by the City of Sioux Falls to celebrate the Centennial of Sherman Park August 14th, 2010.