Playground stands under the shadow of the Manhattan Bridge, a two-level steel suspension bridge designed by Leon Moisseiff (1871-1904) and completed in 1909. The bridge is 6.855 feet long, with a main span of 1,470 feet. The architectural firm of Carrere and Hastings designed the grand arch and flanking colonnades that mark the entrance to the bridge on Canal Street.
Acquired by condemnation and by purchase in six parcels between 1897 and 1950, Coleman Square Playground includes a large playground and a grassy ballfield. Between 1907 and 1969,m Parks assumed jurisdiction over the various parcels of land. By 1970, the park reached its present size. In 1994, the ballfield was named Phylis M. Ammirati ballfield in honor of the founder of the park's women's softball league. Taken all together, Coleman Square Playground in not only a place of rest and recreation for people of all ages, but also a memorial to a neighborhood boy who fought in the Great War.
City of New York Parks and Recreation
Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor
Adrian Benepe, Commissioner