Temple and Ex-Convent of San Agustín

Temple and Ex-Convent of San Agustín (HM2FML)

Location:
Buy flags at Flagstore.com!

N 22° 8.995', W 100° 58.46'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 36 views
Inscription
 Templo y Ex Convento de San AgustínLos agustinos fundaron en San Luis Potosí una sencilla hospedería en 1592. Ahí se alojaban los misioneros que iban a Zacatecas. Posteriormente, los frailes que atendían a los indios tarascos, que trabajaban en las minas del Cerro de San Pedro, consiguieron que
viniera de Michoacán el Padre Castroverde. Entonces, se agrandó la hospedería y se construyó una capilla privada. En 1603, Felipe III autorizó la fundación del convento. Poco después, en 1614, el padre Basalenque erigió una iglesia de adobe con capilla dedicada a la Virgen del Tránsito, construyó el convento y adornó la
sacristía. Debido a la escasez de agua, ésta se traía desde la cañada del Lobo.Hacia 1671, se empezó la iglesia de calicanto que fue bendecida en 1700 bajo la advocación de San Nicolás de Tolentino. Su fachada presenta tres cuerpos con pilastras adosadas y nichos simétricos con imágenes de santos agustinos. Retablos dorados adornaron el interior. Del s. XVIII se conservan: las bóvedas de la sacristía, decoradas con ángeles danzantes y águilas bicéfalas, y en la antesacristía, el aguamanil con estípites. En la



misma época se edificó la torre, cuyo cuidadoso trabajo de cantería presenta elementos salomónicos en el primer cuerpo y estípites en los
restantes. La iglesia, muy dañada desde 1821, sufrió una reconstrucción neoclásica iniciada en 1840, de la que sólo se libraron la fachada y la torre. Se sustituyeron los retablos y, en el altar mayor, se colocó la Virgen del Socorro de Sixto Muñoz. En 1862, tres años después de la incautación, los agustinos recuperaron la iglesia y parte del convento. En 1890, se adornó con esculturas provenientes de Europa. Cuando el obispo Monte
de Oca bendijo la iglesia, en 1896, se habían modificado los retablos y se habían pintado los muros al estilo tapiz, por Molina y Compiani. En 1984, el Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia restauró la fachada y la torre y, al derribar las casas construidas en el atrio se rescató la fachada lateral erigida a fines del s. XVII. Texto: Historiadora del Arte. Alicia Cordero HerreraDibujos: Centro Regional INAHEnglish:Temple and Ex-Convent of San AgustínThe Agustinians founded a simple lodging in San Luis Potosí in 1592. There they put up missionaries on their way to Zacatecas. Later the lodging was enlarged and a private chapel built after the monks who cared for the Tarascan Indians employed at the San Pedro Hill mines



were successful in convincing one father Castroverde to come from the state of Michoacán. By 1603, King Phillip III had authorized the founding of their convent. Shortly after, in 1614, Father Basalenque erected an adobe church with a chapel dedicated to the Virgen del Tránsito, built the convent and decorated the sacristy. For lack of local sources, water was brought in from the Ravine of the Wolf. Work on the stone masonry church started around 1671 and was dedicated to Saint Nicholas of Tolentino in 1700. Its three-bodied facade has pilasters and symmetrical niches
displaying figures of Augustinian saints. The gilded paintings of saints embellished its interior. Surviving from eighteenth-century are vaults of the sacristy, decorated with dancing angels and two-headed eagles and, in the sacristy anteroom, the aguamanil with pilasters. In that same period also marked the completion of its finely worked stone tower, which has Solomonic elements on its lower portion and pilasters on upper ones. Severely damaged since 1821, the church suffered a neoclassical reconstruction begun in 1840, only the facade and tower escaping the change. The gilded paintings of saints were replaced and a Virgen del Socorro by Sixto Muñoz was placed on the main altar. In 1862, 3 years after the buildings were confiscated, the
Augustinians recovered the church and part of the covent.



In dedicated the church in 1896, the paintings of saints had been altered and the walls painted in tapestry style by Molina y Compiani. In 1984, the National Institute of Anthropology and History restored the facade and the tower, and by tearing down the houses built
in the churchyard, saved the side facade built at the close of the seventeenth century.
Details
HM NumberHM2FML
Tags
Placed ByInstituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia (INAH)
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Monday, April 15th, 2019 at 8:01am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)14Q E 296393 N 2450743
Decimal Degrees22.14991667, -100.97433333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 22° 8.995', W 100° 58.46'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds22° 8' 59.7" N, 100° 58' 27.6" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Which side of the road?Marker is on the right when traveling East
Closest Postal AddressAt or near , ,
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. What country is the marker located in?
  2. Is this marker part of a series?
  3. What historical period does the marker represent?
  4. What historical place does the marker represent?
  5. What type of marker is it?
  6. What class is the marker?
  7. What style is the marker?
  8. Does the marker have a number?
  9. What year was the marker erected?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?