Formerly known as Cannon's Chapel, the first church building was constructed in the early 1870's on East High Street (then known as Concord Road). The Church was incorporated on July 16, 1877. In 1887, the Trustees of the Church purchased land at the present site on Main Street from the heirs of James M. Blades. A new structure was built and dedicated on January 13, 1889. In honor of Rev. William Benson Gregg, the Church was renamed the Gregg Methodist Episcopal Church. Incorporated again on January 26, 1921, the Church was remodeled, expanded and renamed Blades Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1972, the name Blades United Methodist Church was adopted.